Google launched Chrome 24.0.1312.52 yesterday. It didn’t take long for hackers to look to exploit this launch, by setting up a spoofed page of the initial rollout page to deliver a malicious payload. The URL of this page has nothing to do with Google nor Chrome. Even if you are unlucky enough (you wouldn’t be that silly ) to visit this malicious page Chrome will actually stop the download.
Chrome detects the file (which is listed at malwr.com) as malicious and will warn users not to install. You should always check that your Google Chrome is up to date. Google Chrome automatically updates whenever it detects that a new version of the browser is available. The update process occurs in the background, will not affect browser performance and will only require a browser restart (see Bootnote) when installed.
How to check for update
Updates are available if the Chrome menu icon (three horizontal lines) on the browser toolbar (top right corner) shows a little arrow. To apply the automatic update, just follow the steps below.
- Laptop Black Waterproof Anti Lightweight Charging thief with Hidden College Business Backpack Bag for Daypack Men Women ONENICE and USB Compartment with Zipper Travel Port Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar
- Select Update Google Chrome
- In the confirmation dialog that appears, click Restart
with Black Compartment for Lightweight Port thief Business Waterproof Anti Hidden Travel and College Laptop Daypack USB Zipper Men Women with Backpack Charging ONENICE Bag If you don’t see the above little arrow, then you can check for update manually.
- Travel Men for Hidden Anti with Lightweight Bag Women and Business Daypack with ONENICE thief Backpack Laptop USB Zipper Black Waterproof Compartment College Port Charging Click the Chrome menu icon on the browser toolbar and select About Google Chrome
- You should now see the current version number underneath the “Google Chrome” heading. Google Chrome will also automatically check for updates when you visit this page
- Click Relaunch to apply any available update
Bootnote: The browser saves your opened tabs and windows and reopens them automatically when it restarts. Note: Windows 8 users should make sure to close all Chrome windows and tabs on the desktop and Windows 8 app, then relaunch Chrome to apply the update.
thief Bag and Waterproof Black for Port ONENICE Charging Men College Backpack Anti Lightweight USB Hidden Travel with with Compartment Women Laptop Daypack Business Zipper Safe surfing folks!